dsc_5544
The wealthy pig trader of Point Reyes Station, the 100-year-old sidewalk, the mill that turned San Francisco’s old clothes into newsprint, the town’s “two curves”—these are just hints of the trivia passed along in a new series of historic walking tours through the town once known as Olema Station. Dewey Livingston, who recently uncovered information about a fire that made way for the construction of the town as we know it, has sporadically offered tours for over a decade. In a new collaboration with the Tomales Bay Youth Center, the West Marin Fund, the Community Land Trust of West Marin and others, Mr. Livingston and a cadre of young guides will be hosting hour-long Saturday morning tours from July 27 through September 28. Proceeds from the $10 tickets, available online and at the information booth at the Point Reyes Farmers Market, will benefit the youth center and affordable housing initiatives. Tours start at the farmers market at 10 a.m. Above: Madeline Hope, Dona Larkin, Max Wessner, Dewey Livingston, Kim Thompson and Nancy Addess. — Tess Elliott David Briggs

Local historian Dewey Livingston has unearthed a long-forgotten moment of the region’s past: an 1879 conflagration in what is now Point Reyes Station that marked the beginning of the town as we know it.

Olema Station, the town’s former incarnation, had sprung up around a depot serving the North Pacific Coast Railroad in 1875. The town’s . . .

You have reached content available exclusively to Point Reyes Light digital subscribers.

Receive a 3-day free trial of unlimited digital access.

Already a subscriber? Login here.