Forest Knolls man leads deputies on chase in stolen car


An 18-year-old man from Forest Knolls stole two vehicles and led police on an erratic car chase across West Marin last Thursday. The crime spree began in the San Geronimo Valley and ended near Marshall, resulting in a totaled truck, a totaled car and a damaged fence. The suspect, Dylan Baylacq, was arrested on suspicion of robbery, carjacking, vehicle theft, evading police, driving without a license and vandalism. Deputies initially responded to a report at 9:50 a.m. that a truck hit a fence at the Gary Giacomini Open Space Preserve, leaving behind a license plate and a front bumper. When a deputy arrived, two hikers flagged him down and reported seeing tire tracks leading down a nearby fire road, where the wrecked Toyota Tacoma was found. But nobody was around. Thirty minutes later, dispatch received another report, of a vehicle theft on Meadow Way. The carjacking victim, who requested anonymity, said she was dropping off extra fabric for face masks on someone’s porch when she heard her car door slam. She was just 10 feet away, and when she saw a man in the driver’s seat, she ran toward him, yelling and screaming at the top of her lungs. She struggled back and forth with Mr. Baylacq, pushing and pulling on the door of her Toyota Camry, bruising her legs. Seeing the intense look in his eyes, she eventually surrendered, and Mr. Baylacq drove west. Two deputies and a park ranger spotted the carjacked vehicle in Samuel P. Taylor State Park, and the driver did not pull over. At speeds between 35 and 55 miles per hour and with three cars in pursuit, Mr. Baylacq went north on Platform Bridge Road, west on Point Reyes-Petaluma Road, then south on Shoreline Highway through downtown Point Reyes Station, according to the sheriff’s office. He was driving off the side of the road and crossing double yellow lines. “Due to the serious nature of the events and his driving habits, we continued pursuing the vehicle,” said Sgt. Brenton Schneider, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office. The driver looped around in Point Reyes Station and drove through downtown again, this time headed north. He continued on the highway for a couple miles and turned onto Marshall-Petaluma Road. He then pulled into a dirt driveway, which damaged his front right tire and disabled the vehicle. He was taken to Marin County Jail and held on $150,000 bail. After the incident, deputies contacted the owner of the truck, who was not aware that his vehicle was stolen. Investigators are trying to determine how the truck was stolen, and why.