Great Moments in West Marin History
40 YEARS AGO, AUGUST 1977 — THE STAFF OF THE OLD POINT REYES LIGHTHOUSE RESTORATION PROJECT
Point Reyes is the windiest place on the Pacific Coast and the second foggiest place on the North American continent. Our lighthouse, built in 1870, was retired from service in 1975, when the United States Coast Guard installed an automated light and transferred ownership to the National Park Service, which took on the job of restoring and preserving it. All lighthouses in the U.S. are now automated and therefore less expensive to maintain and operate. The lighthouse at Point Reyes National Seashore is now a museum piece that archives the lightkeepers’ lives and the beacon’s craftsmanship and beauty for generations to come.