Woodacre man had explosives

02/07/2013

A Woodacre man is in police custody for leaving explosive devices in a truck parked outside a home in Sonoma County, authorities said this week. Mark VanMidde, 49, will appear in a Santa Rosa courtroom for the second time on Friday for an arraignment hearing on charges that he left an abandoned car filled with explosives outside the house of his estranged wife on July 31, Rohnert Park Lt. Jeff Taylor told local press. A block of suburban Rohnert Park homes was evacuated while a bomb squad team cleared the scene. Following Mr. VanMidde’s arrest last week, which was first reported by the Rohnert Park-Cotati Patch website, bail was set at $50,000. Mr. VanMidde was convicted in 2012 of violating a restraining order, according to the Sonoma County District Attorney spokeswoman Terry Menshek. A phone call to the lawyer representing Mr. VanMidde was not returned.